Panalpina World Transport (Holding) Ltd – Company Strategy & Performance Analysis
- Pages: 43
- Published: February 2018
- Report Code: MLPM0010-019
Panalpina World Transport (Holding) Ltd is a logistics and freight forwarding company primary involved in the provision of supply chain management solutions. The company”˜s business divisions include air freight, ocean freight, and logistics but it also participates in the provision of energy and project solutions, road services, cargo security, and information solutions.
Panalpina offers its services to the automotive, manufacturing, chemicals, consumer, retail and fashion, government, telecom, healthcare, technology and perishables sectors. It operates in Europe, the Americas, Asia-Pacific, and the Middle East and Africa. Panalpina is headquartered in Basel, Switzerland.
MarketLine Premium’s company strategy reports provide in-depth coverage of the performance and strategies of the world’s leading transport and logistics companies. The report details company operations in key geographies and offers a comprehensive analysis of each firm’s growth strategy and financial performance. The reports benchmark company performance via key indicators, including air freight revenue, sea freight revenue, air freight volume, sea freight volume, operating income, net income, and total revenue.
A decline in the volume of oil and gas projects had a negative impact on Panalpina’s air freight revenues in 2016
Panalpina’s air freight division operates across six continents and registered an annual growth rate of 10.5%, from 836,000 tonnes in 2015 to 921,400 tonnes in 2016 – due in part to an increase in the demand for perishable commodities. However, in terms of revenue, the segment registered a decline of -3.1% between 2015 and 2016 from US$2,749.4m in 2015 to US$2,664.9m in 2016.The decline in the revenue was primarily attributed to a decline in the number of oil and gas projects led by the decrease in production in 2016.
A drop in freight rates caused the ocean freight division’s revenue to decline
Due to a decline in the oil and gas production and the negative impact of Hanjin’s bankruptcy on the market, Panalpina’s ocean freight division registered a decline in terms of both revenue and volume. In volume terms, the division registered a decline of -6.6%, while in revenue terms it recorded an annual growth rate of -24.6%, falling from US$2.7bn in 2015 to US$2.0bn in 2016.
Limited overland oil and gas activity caused a decline in Panalpina’s logistics revenue
The logistics segment is mainly into supply chain management and logistics manufacturing services. Similar to the other two segments of the company, the logistics segment has extensive operations and warehousing facilities in all the major regions of the world. However, as a result of the low overland oil and gas activities, the segment’s revenue declined at rate of -19.5% between 2015 and 2016 from US$647.4m in 2015 to US$579.2m in 2016.
– Company Snapshot – Details key indicators and rankings of Panalpina in terms of revenue, air freight volume, ocean containers and total warehouse space.
– Company SWOT Analysis – Outlines Panalpina's strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities and threats facing the company.
– Growth Strategies – Provides an overview of Panalpina’s corporate goals and strategic initiatives and evaluates their outcomes.
– Company Performance and Competitive Landscape – Analyses the company’s performance by geographical segment and provides a peer comparison on parameters such as revenue and market share.
– Key Developments – Showcases Panalpina's recent corporate events and initiatives.
– ICT Spending Prediction – Details how the company allocates its ICT budget across the core areas of its business, specifically hardware, software, IT services, communications and consulting.
Reasons to buy
- How does Panalpina ranks among its peers in terms of revenue and market share?
- What are Panalpina's main growth strategies and how successful has the company been at implementing them?
- How has the company performed since 2014?
- How has Panalpina performed in comparison to its main competitors?
- What are Panalpina’s strengths and weaknesses and what are the opportunities and threats it faces?
Table of Contents
Company Snapshot 3
Company SWOT Analysis 8
Growth Strategies 14
Company Performance 19
Competitive Landscape 25
Key Developments 33
ICT Spending Predictions 35
Financial Summary 38