Expeditors International of Washington Inc – Company Strategy & Performance Analysis
- Pages: 42
- Published: January 2018
- Report Code: MLPM0010-015
Expeditors International of Washington (Expeditors) is a leading logistics service provider that mainly provides air and ocean freight transportation and customs brokerage. It also provides various other services including order management, time-definite transportation, warehousing and distribution, cargo insurance, and customized logistics solutions. It operates in over 60 countries spread across North America, Asia-Pacific, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Indian subcontinent, and Latin America.
Expeditors classifies its business operations into three divisions, namely, airfreight services; ocean freight and ocean services; and customs brokerage and other services. Airfreight services accounted for 40.0% of the company’s total revenue in 2016, followed by ocean freight and ocean services with 32.0%, and custom brokerage and other services with 28.0%.
MarketLine Premium’s company strategy reports provide in-depth coverage of the performance and strategies of the world’s leading transport and logistics companies. The report details company operations in key geographies and offers a comprehensive analysis of each firm’s growth strategy and financial performance. The reports benchmark company performance via key indicators, including air freight revenue, sea freight revenue, air freight volume, sea freight volume, operating income, net income, Total revenue.
Reduced average sell rates led airfreight service revenue to decline; however, it was partially offset by growth in airfreight tonnage
The airfreight services segment offers two services: airfreight consolidation and airfreight forwarding. The segment’s revenue declined at rate of -10.5% from US$2,740.6m in 2015 to US$2,453.3m in 2016 largely due to low average rate in response to competitive market conditions. Similarly, the net revenue of the segment declined with a rate of -6.9% in 2016, from US$752.9 in 2015 to US$701.2 in 2016. This was primarily due to a 12.0% decrease in net revenue per kilo, which declined because of competitive market conditions and rapid changes in carrier pricing caused by sporadic increase in demand.
Competitive market conditions resulted in net revenue per container to decrease, leading to a decline in the overall ocean freight and ocean services’ revenue
The ocean freight and ocean services business segment offers three basic services: ocean freight consolidation, direct ocean forwarding, and order management. Segmental revenue declined at rate of -12.6% from US$2,194.0m in 2015 to US$1,917.5m in 2016. This is primarily due to the reduction in average sell rates to customer in response to competitive market conditions and low available buy rates from carriers. The decline in segmental revenue was partially offset by 3.0% increase in volume. Ocean freight and ocean services net revenue also decreased at rate of -0.9% from US$545.0m in 2015 to US$538.8m in 2016.
Growth in the volume of road freight supported the segment’s revenue
Customs brokerage and other services provide customs clearance services for the majority of shipments that the company handles as a freight forwarder. This segment’s revenue increased at rate of 2.7% from US$1,682.0m in 2015 to US$1,727.2m in 2016. This is attributed to the increase in volume from existing and new freight road customers. The segment’s net revenue also increased at rate 3.8%, from US$889.9m in 2015 to US$924.1m in 2016, primarily due to higher volumes from existing and new customers in road freight. This growth is further supported by low import service costs.
– Company Snapshot – Details key indicators and rankings of Expeditors in terms of revenue, air freight volume, ocean containers and total warehouse space.
– Company SWOT Analysis – Outlines Expeditors's strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities and threats facing the company.
– Growth Strategies – Provides an overview of Expeditors’s corporate goals and strategic initiatives and evaluates their outcomes.
– Company Performance and Competitive Landscape – Analyses the company’s performance by geographical segment and provides a peer comparison on parameters such as revenue and market share.
– Key Developments – Showcases Expeditors's recent corporate events and initiatives.
– ICT Spending Prediction – Details how the company allocates its ICT budget across the core areas of its business, specifically hardware, software, IT services, communications and consulting.
Reasons to buy
- How does Expeditors ranks among its peers in terms of revenue and market share?
- What are Expeditors's main growth strategies and how successful has the company been at implementing them?
- How has the company performed since 2014?
- How has Expeditors performed in comparison to its main competitors?
- What are Expeditors’s strengths and weaknesses and what are the opportunities and threats it faces?
Table of Contents
Company Snapshot 3
Company SWOT Analysis 8
Growth Strategies 14
Company Performance 19
Competitive Landscape 25
Key Developments 32
ICT Spending Predictions 34
Financial Summary 37