The Boeing Company – Company Strategy & Performance Analysis
- Pages: 44
- Published: August 2017
- Report Code: MLPM0004-002
The Boeing Company (Boeing) is one of the largest aerospace companies that manufactures commercial and defense aircraft and space, defense and security systems. The company operates its business through two business units: Commercial Airplanes, and Defense, Space and Security.
Boeing provides the 737, 747, 767, 777 and 787 families of airplanes and business jets for commercial purposes. It offers fixed-wing aircraft, rotorcraft and tilt-rotor aircraft, transport and tanker aircraft, anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare aircraft, and other attack aircraft and helicopters for military purposes.
MarketLine Premium’s company strategy reports provide in-depth coverage of the performance and strategies of the world’s leading defence and security companies. The reports detail company operations in key geographies as well as comprehensive analysis of each company’s growth strategy and financial performance. Furthermore the reports allow benchmarking company performance through the provision of key performance indicators including: arms sales, order backlog, and contracts.
Boeing strongly focuses on research and development activities to offer innovative solutions:
Boeing is focusing on its research and development (R&D) activities, which principally include engineering, operations and technology (EO&T) activities. EO&T is an advanced R&D set up, which provides technical and functional capabilities to Boeing. It focuses on innovative technologies, improved processes and the creation of new products. Its R&D expenditures mainly involve experimentation, design, development and related test activities for defense systems, new and derivative jet aircraft (both commercial and military), and other company-sponsored product developments. In 2016, the company spent US$4,600 million on its R&D activities.
The company reported an improvement in its operational performance:
Boeing recorded an increase in its revenues and operating profits over 2013-2015. The company's revenues increased at a CAGR of 5.0% during 2013-2015, from USUS$86,623.0 million to US$96,114.0 million. Revenues in 2015 primarily increased due to higher new aircraft deliveries across all programs and higher revenues in the network and space systems (N&SS) and global service and support (GS&S) segments. Also, the operating profits of the company grew at a CAGR of 7.0% during the 2013-2015, from US$6,562.0 million to US$7,443.0. This growth in operating profit is primarily due to new aircraft deliveries growth.
Changes in US government regulations led to a decline in revenue:
Defense, Space & Security revenue declined at 2.9%, from US$30,388.0 million in 2015 to US$29,498.0 in 2016, due to lower revenues from the Boeing Military Aircraft segment (BMA) and the Network & Space Systems Segment (N&SS). This was partially offset by higher revenues from Global Services and Support. The introduction of the Budget Control Act 2011 mandated restrictions on US government discretionary expenditure that affects expenditure or investments. This affected the level of uncertainty in regards to the programs and contracts initiated for the US DoD (US Department of Defense) and other government agencies, which affected the financial position and limited the growth of the segment.
– Company Snapshot – details key indicators and rankings of The Boeing Company in terms of arms sales and market share in the company’s key markets.
– Company SWOT Analysis – outlines The Boeing Company’ Strengths and Weaknesses, and weighs Opportunities and Threats facing the company.
– Growth Strategies understand The Boeing Company’ corporate goals and strategic initiatives and evaluate their outcomes.
– Company Performance and Competitive Landscape – analyse the company’s performance by business segment compared to other players across key markets on metrics such as arms sales.
– Key Developments – showcase The Boeing Company’ significant recent corporate events, changes, or product initiatives.
Reasons to buy
- How does The Boeing Company rank among defense and security service providers in the Europe and globally?
- What are The Boeing Company’ main growth strategies and how successful has the company been at implementing them?
- How has the company performed since 2013 in terms of arms sales, and order backlog?
- How has The Boeing Company performed in comparison to competitors such as Lockheed Martin Corporation, BAE Systems and Raytheon Company?
- What are The Boeing Company’ strengths and weaknesses and what opportunities and threats does it face?
Table of Contents
Company Snapshot 3
CompanySWOT Analysis 9
Growth Strategies 16
Competitive Landscape 25
Key Developments 32
ICT Spending Predictions 35
Financial Summary 38