SoftBank Group Corp – Company Strategy Report
- Pages: 55
- Published: June 2017
- Report Code: MLPM0002-016
SoftBank Group Corp (SoftBank) is a provider of mobile communications, fixed-line telecommunications, Internet and distribution services in Japan. It operates through subsidiaries in Japan, the US and other countries. It’s relative low position in comparison to its competitors means that it is focusing on expanding its business through joint ventures to increase its presence in the market. SoftBank aims to improve increase customer satisfaction by improving service quality, maximize capital efficiency and focus on improving profitability.
MarketLine’s Premium company strategy reports provide in-depth coverage of the performance and strategies of the world’s leading telecommunication companies. The reports detail company operations in key geographies as well as comprehensive analysis of each company’s growth strategy and financial performance. Furthermore, the reports allow benchmarking company performance through the provision of key performance indicators including: subscriber volumes, subscriber churn, ARPU, and MoU.
SoftBank’s broad service portfolio caters to diverse groups
The group has diversified business operations, operating through 739 subsidiaries which minimizes the level of risk dependability. It provides a range of services, including mobile communications, fixed-line telephony, distribution and sale of mobile devices and accessories, provision of broadband and telecom services, Internet advertising, among others. The broad portfolio of services enables the company to maintain its revenue stream. For instance, the company generated 34% of its revenue from Japan and 65.0% from the US market in 2016.
Its strong subscription growth has helped it to maintain its presence in the market
SoftBank’s subscriptions grew at CAGR of 1.4% over 2012-2016, from 87.0 million in 2012 to reach 103.0 million in 2016. In addition, the company’s other key operating countries have shown growth. For instance, Sprint US grew at a CAGR of 2.0% during 2012-2016, from 55 million in 2012 to 60.7 million in 2016 and Softbank Japan grew at a CAGR of 8.0% over 2012-2016, from 31.3 million in 2012 to 42.8 million in 2016.
SoftBank carried out expansion initiatives in 2016 to provide future growth opportunities
SoftBank and Alibaba together formed a joint venture SB Cloud Corporation for providing cloud computing services across Japan in 2015. SB Cloud will utilize technologies and solutions from Alibaba Cloud to provide these services. Also, SoftBank and Cybereason Japan Corp. (Cybereason Japan) established a joint venture in 2015 to provide a cyber-security platform in Japan. This platform utilizes artificial intelligence (AI) analytics to locate cyber-attacks, with its cloud-based operation allowing companies to resolve their cyber-attack issues by using data analysis.
– Company Snapshot – Details key indicators and rankings of SoftBank in terms of Subscribers, Revenue, and Market Share in the company’s key markets.
– Company SWOT Analysis – Outlines SoftBank’s Strengths and Weaknesses, and weigh Opportunities and Threats facing the company.
– Growth Strategies – Understand SoftBank’s corporate goals and strategic initiatives and evaluate their outcomes.
– Company Performance and Competitive Landscape – Analyze the company’s performance by business segment compared to other players across key markets on metrics such as such as Revenues, Customer Churn, MoU, and Subscribers.
– Key Developments – Showcase SoftBank’s significant recent corporate events, changes, or product initiatives.
Reasons to buy
- What SoftBank’s market share in its key markets in the Japan and the United States?
- What are AT&T’s main growth strategies and how successful has the company been at implementing them?
- How has SoftBank performed in comparison to competitors such as NTT, KDDI, AT&T Verizon, and T-Mobile?
- What opportunities and threats does SoftBank and its subsidiaries face?
- How will Sprint (SoftBank’s US subsidiary) expand its business and expand its market presence?
Table of Contents
Company Snapshot 3
Company SWOT Analysis 10
Growth Strategies 16
Company Performance 21
Competitive Landscape 27
Key Developments 37
ICT Spending Predictions 40
Financial Summary 44