Sustainability: Implications of the biggest trend in the containers and packaging market
- Pages: 20
- Published: August 2019
- Report Code: ML00030-043
Perhaps the most notable trend which has impacted the global containers and packaging market in recent years is sustainability. At present, consumers, manufacturers, retailers, advocacy groups and world governments are encouraging environmentally friendly packaging, which has had a huge impact on the dynamics of the market. Consumers are increasingly attentive to all aspects of the production process, from the sustainable sourcing of raw ingredients, through to the carbon footprint associated with production processes, and most importantly, the environmental credentials of a product's packaging. This case study examines the biggest impacts the sustainability trend has had on the market.
– The attitude toward plastic containers and packaging has changed significantly in recent years and plastic pollution is now considered as one of the most serious environmental problems globally. This shift has had a huge impact on the containers and packaging market, due to the fact that the majority of products are made from plastic, due to its low production costs and durability.
– Consumer trends heavily influence this market and these are gradually leaning more towards recyclable, reusable materials and a ”˜zero waste’ culture. In response to this, companies have begun to develop more recyclable and lightweight goods. One alternative to single use plastics that manufacturers have shifted toward is recyclable plastics.
– As companies respond to the pressure to offer more sustainable packaging, traditional container and packaging manufacturers have also evolved in order to cater to their customer’s needs, investing heavily in developing innovative products which are more sustainable. The sustainability trend has also resulted in the arrival of new companies, which often focus their business ethos and product as a whole around sustainability.
– Examines the current state of the containers and packaging market
– Assesses the ways in which sustainability has disrupted the plastic segment
– Examines new innovative products in the market
– Examines how the paper segment will benefit from the sustainability trend
Reasons to buy
- How is the containers and packaging market performing globally?
- How has the sustainability trend impacted the plastic segments?
- How are traditional and new companies responding to this trend?
- How has the anti-plastic sentiment impacted the paper segment?
Table of Contents
2. CURRENT STATE OF THE CONTAINERS AND PACKAGING MARKET
2.1. The Asia-Pacific region is driving the market forward, a trend which is expected to continue
2.2. European and US markets will continue to slow
2.2.1. Global players are expanding in emerging economies
2.3. The market has consolidated as a result of M&A activity
3. THE PLASTIC SEGMENT HAS BEEN HEAVILY DISRUPTED BY THE SUSTAINABILITY TREND
3.1. Government legislation has had a significant impact on the market
3.2. Consumer attitudes have evolved considerably, effecting the demands of buyers
3.3. Companies in the market are responding to pressure, exploring alternatives to single-use plastic
3.4. Retailers are taking action, which is having a knock-on effect through the value chain
4. INCREASED R&D ACTIVITY IS GIVING WAY TO INNOVATIVE PRODUCTS
4.1. Traditional manufacturers are introducing new products
4.2. Demand for innovative products has paved the way for new entrants
4.3. The future of packaging
5. PAPER BASED CONTAINERS AND PACKAGING WILL BENEFIT FROM THE PURSUIT OF SUSTAINABILITY
5.1. Paper can be a more sustainable option
5.2. Manufacturers are developing more sustainable packaging solutions
5.3. The paper segment faces some limitations
6.2. Further reading
7. ASK THE ANALYST
8. ABOUT MARKETLINE
List of Figures
List of Figures
Figure 1: Global containers and packaging market geography segmentation: % share, by value, 2018
Figure 2: Global containers and packaging market value: $ million, 201418
Figure 3: Amcor’s deal volume by country (2018)
Figure 4: Plastic pollution is considered to be one of the world’s most serious environmental problems
Figure 5: Multiple global players have signed the Global Commitment
Figure 6: Blue Planet 2 has heralded a change in public perception
Figure 7: Amcor’s innovative film is a breakthrough in the flexible plastic segment
Figure 8: New companies such as Smol have utilized the sustainability trend
Figure 9:Notpla’s capsules are an edible and biodegradable alternative to plastic