City Profile – Basel; Comprehensive overview of the city, PEST analysis and analysis of key industries including technology, tourism and hospitality, construction and retail.
- Pages: 34
- Published: June 2018
- Report Code: ER0081CP
Basel is the third largest region in Switzerland after Geneva and Zurich in terms of area, economic importance and population. The increase of investments due to structural reforms is expected to have a significant positive effect on the region’s economy over the next decade.
“City Profile – Basel” provides historical and forecast data on key city level metrics along with analytical coverage of the latest political, economic, social, technological, infrastructural, legal and environmental issues affecting Basel. The report contains detailed tourism, retail, construction, technology and public infrastructure data and insight into economic, social, and industry trends.
– The service sector remains the key contributor to the regional economy – and the major employer.
– Basel is a key tourist destination in Switzerland for both domestic and international tourists and experienced healthy growth. The construction sector in the region grew at an average annual rate of 1.0% during the five years (2013-2017).
Reasons to buy
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of future economic and demographic trends and understand the performance of various sectors within the city.
- Analyze and understand the business environment in the city to align your investment and expansion strategies.
- The report helps to drive a conclusion in choosing a suitable city to invest or expand according to your business structure.
- Explore new opportunities in the hospitality, tourism, construction, real estate and retail sectors.
Table of Contents
City Snapshot 2
PEST Analysis 6
Technology and Infrastructure 21
Internal Transport Networks 21
Business Environment Analysis 25
Travel and Tourism 27
Tourism Flows 27
Construction and Real Estate 31
Real Estate Market 31
Retail Market 32
Consumption, Income and Prices 32
Further Reading 33
Ask the Analyst 33
About MarketLine 33
List of Tables
List of Tables
Table 1: Basel metropolitan region – key facts (estimates), 2017 2
Table 2: Basel metropolitan region- real GDP growth, 2000-25 9
Table 3: Basel metropolitan region- economic growth comparison, (Index 2010=100), 2000-25 11
Table 4: Basel metropolitan region- GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25 (US$) 13
Table 5: Basel metropolitan region- employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total) 15
Table 6: Basel metropolitan region – main universities, 2017 16
Table 7: Basel metropolitan region- population comparison, 2000-25 (million) 18
Table 8: Basel metropolitan region- population by age, 2000-25 (% of total) 20
Table 9: Basel metropolitan region – mass transit network indicators, 2017 21
Table 10: Basel metropolitan region – key indicators of EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg, 2013-17 23
Table 11: Basel city – Fortune Global 500 Companies, HQ in city, 2017 26
Table 12: Basel city – office rents, Q4 2017 26
Table 13: Basel metropolitan region – tourism indicators (number), 2013-17 27
Table 14: Basel metropolitan region – international arrivals by country of residence (numbers), 2013-17 27
Table 15: Basel metropolitan region – hotel indicators, 2013-17 28
Table 16: Basel metropolitan region – overnight stays by international arrivals by country of residence, 2013-17 29
Table 17: Basel metropolitan region – MICE and other events 30
List of Figures
List of Figures
Figure 1: Basel metropolitan region- real GDP growth, 2000-25 8
Figure 2: Basel metropolitan region- economic growth comparison, (Index 2010=100), 2000-25 10
Figure 3: Basel metropolitan region- GDP per capita comparison, 2000-25 12
Figure 4: Basel metropolitan region- employment structure, 2000-25 (% of total) 14
Figure 5: Basel metropolitan region- population comparison, 2000-25 17
Figure 6: Basel metropolitan region- population by age, 2000-25 (% of total) 19